1. Please register at new.mtfest.com
Teachers will submit student’s video at mtfest.com putting it in the box labeled “Accompanist First Name”.
2. Pay fee online through new.mtfest.com. Click on Billing, then click on the $ next to the event. Pay with Visa or Mastercard. After payment is made, you may print a copy of the invoice for your records. You do not need to mail anything to the Chair. No late applications will be accepted. All fees are non-refundable.
3. Parents must fill out a Video Release Form.
Levels and Time Limits
The competition has two divisions: Upper Strings (Violin) and Lower Strings (Viola, Violoncello, String Bass, Guitar and Harp). Each division has the following levels and playing time restrictions:
|Elementary||through 6th grade||8 minutes
|Intermediate||Grades 7-9||10 minutes
|Senior||Grades 10-12||12 minutes
Students and teachers may determine their own cuts.
Online Submission Process
- The teacher registers. The Chair will send information to you about submitting the video after the registration deadline.
- Judges will receive submission and judge the entries
- Results will be published once they have been received from the judges
- Comments will be returned to the teachers.
One movement from a concerto or other major work for solo instrument with orchestral accompaniment. Performance from memory is required.
Here is a list of repertoire used in 2014 which you may download as a spreadsheet for your reference: Repertoire for Concerto Competition for Strings 2014
Open to students of violin, viola, violoncello, string bass, guitar or harp. Previous first place winners may not compete again in the same grade category, but are eligible (with the chairman’s approval) for the next level. In order to enter NTMVA student events, either the teacher or student must live in Northern Virginia, or, the lessons must be taught in Northern Virginia
Each performer will receive a certificate for participation.
Director Scott Wood will choose from among the prize winners of NVMTA Concerto Competitions (piano, string, woodwind/brass) for a performance with the Amadeus Orchestra on April 24, 2022 at 4 pm at Saint Luke’s church, McLean.
2021: Accompaniment is not required.
All parent or student questions about an event should be handled by the teacher. Teachers should never give parents or students the phone numbers or e-mail addresses of chairmen. Chairmen have no obligation to respond to parent or student inquiries. Teachers must agree to abide by the Rules for Competitive Events as well as the Teacher Responsibilities.
The final decision on scheduling and related aspects of each event rests with the chairman.