Achievement Awards Competition: Piano
May 2| $33
- Please register at mtfest.com
- Pay fee online through mtfest.com. Click on Billing, then click on the $ next to the event. Pay with Visa or Mastercard. After payment is made, you may print a copy of the invoice for your records. You do not need to mail anything to the Chair. No late applications will be accepted. All fees are non-refundable.
Levels and Time Limits
|Level 1||Grades 2-4||6 Minutes|
|Level 2||Grades 5-6||7 Minutes|
|Level 3||Grades 7-8||11 Minutes|
|Level 4||Grades 9-10||13 Minutes|
|Level 5||Grades 11-12||20 Minutes|
No arrangements. All music must be performed from memory.
Levels 1-4. Three pieces representing three of the following five periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, Contemporary.
Level 5. Four works: 1) a piece from the Baroque period*, 2) A sonata movement by Haydn, Clementi, Mozart, Beethoven or early Schubert; 3) a piece from the Romantic or the Impressionistic period, and 4) a contemporary piece.
- The style period for a given composer will be defined by the MTNA Composer Classifications.
- Any composer with two classifications should be classified according to the qualities of the particular work.
- Additional composers not included on the MTNA Composer Classification List will be classified as follows for NVMTA Achievement Awards from the following list: Composers PAA.
- Please email the chair with any questions regarding composer classifications. The diversity in style of repertoire is an important consideration and students must present a diverse program for this competition.
- Copyright: NVMTA supports the use published musical scores. If a photocopy must be used, the NVMTA Copyright Release Form, signed by a parent or teacher, must be submitted to the chairman by email or postmarked at least one week prior to the event. Please submit this form also for music purchased or downloaded from the internet. Students using photocopies (or anything resembling a photocopy) either for themselves or the judges, without having provided the Copyright Release Form by this deadline, may play for comments but will not be eligible to compete.
*If playing a work from the Well-Tempered Clavier, the Prelude and Fugue shall be considered one piece, and both must be performed.
All students are required to participate at their current grade level. Previous first-place winners may not compete again at the same level and must wait until they are eligible for the next level. Students who are not present and ready to perform at their assigned time may play for comments only, and only if time permits. Either the teacher or student must live in Northern Virginia, or the lessons must be taught in Northern Virginia.
No repertoire changes may be made after the registration deadline.
Please provide one published score for the judges with all measures numbered; the score must not bear the student’s or teacher’s name. Ratings sheets are to be downloaded from mtfest, and each student must have 3 copies. Participating teachers are expected to assist the chair as needed based on the number of students enrolled, regardless of subsequent student withdrawals. Teachers must agree to abide by the Rules for Competitive Events as well as the Teacher Responsibilities.